Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013 A Year In Review



2013 was an eventful year for me as an author. I taught a children's writing workshop for kids in grades k-6. I even had one eight grader show up because he was so interested in writing.



I participated in the Southern Kentucky Book Festival where I once again met and hung out with author Mary McDonough, illustrator Mark Wayne Anderson, and author Debbie Dadey. I also got to meet and go out to lunch my good friend and author Amanda Stephan who came up for the writer's conference.

Mary and Me

Amanda and Me

I participated in the very first North Branch Children's Festival in Michigan where I met some lovely new friends like the talented sponsor Kevin White. It also turned out to be a great mini family vacation. My husband, daughter, and I visited the Dow Gardens on the way up and once there, we asked some locals where the best swimming area was and we were turned onto a lovely and secluded watering hole with amazing views.




I sold books every Saturday at the local farmer's market in my home town. The fellow vendors are all friendly and we became like an extended family. My daughter even tried her hand at commerce by making and selling magnets she made.

I was one of three YA judge in for the Grace Awards. And towards the end of the year, I was also able to meet fellow Ohio author, Deb Boerema, who lives just an hour and a half away from me. She graciously shared a table with me at a local event and then she took me out to lunch. I tried to split the check with her, but she insisted that I had given her lots of instruction since she was a new author and it was her way of saying thank you.

Deb and Me
I wrapped the year up by making it to the semi final round of the Author SdB Cover Contest and I started production on my second book, Return To Fern Valley. Not a shabby way to end up a perfectly respectable year.



And in-between, I read and reviewed many books; but my five favorites for the entire year were Mark The Missing Moose by Lisa Tortorello, When Grandma's False Teeth Fly by Mary Lee, Mortimer's First Garden by Karma Wilson, The Innkeepers Dog by Deb Boerma, and And Then The Rain by Karina Harris.



 



Yes, 2013 was a wonderful year and 2014 looks like it will be just as interesting.

Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. And feel free to drop by my personal website, Fun With Aileen, any day of the week for even more on reading, writing, my very own early grade chapter book, Fern Valley, and my soon to be released sequel, Return To Fern Valley, coming summer of 2014! I'm also on twitter @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpses into my days.


No comments:

Post a Comment