Monday, March 20, 2017

Grandparents Day, The Deer and Turkey Expo, and a Book Prize

This past week we celebrated Grandparents Day at the Independent Studies division of Mansfield Christian School. I usually volunteer in some capacity, and taking pictures of all the grandparents with their grands ended up becoming my job this time aropund. The picture of Emily with my mother-in-law is especially dear to me because MaMaw is the last remaining grandparent Emily has. And on top of that, this beautiful eighty-year-old woman made the effort of changing her doctor appointment so she could spend the afternoon with Emily!



We also went on an excursion this weekend. Emily and I joined my husband and my sister, and we attended the Ohio Deer and Turkey Expo in Columbus, Ohio. Now Emily and I aren't particularly interested in Hunting, Fishing, and the likes, but I am trying to teach her the value of sacrificial giving. You know, doing things with and for others that you wouldn't normally choose to do because you love them.

But I have to say, the event wasn't nearly as grueling as I anticipated. We sampled and bought some really delicious elk jerky. We found a booth with several varieties of honey, and the hubby's purchase turned out to be blueberry honey. For those of you not familiar with honey, that simply means the bees pollinated a field of blueberries, and the result from that particular plant created a uniquely flavored honey. We also viewed some extraordinary taxidermy. All in all I'd say it was a good adventure.




And finally, a book arrived in the mail. It is one of the two books that I received as a prize for winning tenth place in the 2017 Valentiny Contest. It is titled, Where Are The Words? and is written by Jodi McKay. Where Are The Words? is a interesting story about how a story is formed and the importance of punctuation. Period wants to write a story but doesn't know where to begin. With the aide of his other punctuation friends, the words they collect turn into something larger.



Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. Also be sure to drop by Literacy Musings Mondays for more great blogs as well as my personal website Fun With Aileen where you will find more on reading, writing, and my very own chapter and picture books. And finally, you can find me on twitter @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days.




No comments:

Post a Comment