Monday, August 8, 2016

Summer Stories

Summer is a time of stories, stories of time spent swimming, of cookouts and birthday parties, eating watermelon, of vacations, and all the things that  make summer great.


Managing my town's local farmers' market and selling baked goods while Emily sells magnets is a big part of our summer story. This past weekend we had to move from our normal farmers' market location because of the local cruise-in car show. We didn't have to move far, just to the back end of the park, but we didn't have the normal cover of our pavilion. Thankfully, however, most of my vendors had canopies and there was a lovely breeze.
 


My summer story also consists of reading great kidlit, and my choices this week were smile worthy. The first book aptly titled, The Story I'll Tell, was a beautiful tale of adoption. My oldest niece is adopted, so this story hit particularly close to home. In this story, a mother imagines the stories she will tell her adopted child when he is old enough to ask where he came from. The creative ways she dreams she will tell him are like beautiful poetry; but in the end, she reveals that the truth is equally beautiful.



The second book I read, I'm My Own Dog, was a tale of pet ownership from the point of view of a dog. It was quite amusing and although I don't own dogs, it made me think about my three cats' points of view. I'm pretty sure they, like the dog in the story, believe that we humans are their pets and they work continually to train us.

 


Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. Also be sure to drop by and join the Literacy Musings Monday Blog Hop where you will find other great blogs, or my personal website, Fun With Aileen, where you will find more on reading, writing, and my very own early grade Fern Valley chapter book series and my Quack and Daisy picture book series. And finally, you can find me on twitter @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days. 

4 comments:

  1. Both of these sound great! The first sounds heartwarming, and the second sounds hilarious. My kids love hilarious! Love that idea! Just might have to implement it in our home. Thanks for sharing at the #LMMLinkup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for hosting the weekly blog linkup :0)It's always fun to share great books with others!

      Delete
  2. I want to try some of those baked goods. They look amazing. and glad you guys found some cover.

    Thanks for sharing at #bloggerspotlight! Don't forget to come link up tomorrow night and see who got featured!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Many of my recipes are in my book, Cooking In Fern Valley, lol.

      Delete