Monday, August 29, 2016

Back to School and Other Fun Stuff

Most schools in our area started back again this past week.  Emily also started her Independent Studies choir this past week as well as her a few home school classes (we officially start this week). She made a make and bake craft. She pondered life skill choices in health class. She studied a little American history. And, she started reading a chapter book called The Secret Tree which from her description so far sounds really interesting. I let you all know what her final thoughts are when she's finished.

Emily has also been on a Star Wars kick with her bestie Rachel which means her sketch book is filling up with Star Wars characters. I'm probably a bit partial, but I think her drawing skills are pretty good for an eleven year old. For the new school year, we ordered a new sketch book and some real drawing pencils, and I can hardly wait to see what she fills it with. 






I finished up canning peaches, baked for farmers' market, and read a little myself. Since it was back to school time, I thought a fun back to school book was in order. The book I chose was I Will Never Get A Star On Mrs. Benson's Blackboard. This book is so sweet and encouraging for kids. Although Rose isn't the best student, or the neatest student, she really wants to get a star on the teacher's blackboard. However, she despairs that she will never accomplish the task. Rose puts her fears aside and enjoys a presentation by a special artist guest because she loves art too. And in the end, much to Rose's surprise, she does indeed get a star.


I also read a book with few words, fabulous pictures, and a fun story of Hare and his friend, Bear who loves to fish. It was called Bear and Hare Go Fishing by Emily Gravitt. Bear and Hare go fishing and Hare patiently waits as bear catches everything but a fish. Will Bear ever catch a fish or will Hare have to take a disappointed Bear home? 


And finally, I read Miss Mary Mack which would be perfect for homeschoolers and would meet both reading and music requirements! It is based on the old clapping song that I remember learning as a child, but interestingly, there was a second chorus about Mary's friend Betty Lou which I had never heard before. There is a cd included which makes this book even more worthwhile.


Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. Also be sure to drop by and join the Literacy Musings Monday Blog Hop where you will find other great blogs, or my personal website, Fun With Aileen, where you will find more on reading, writing, and my very own early grade Fern Valley chapter book series and my Quack and Daisy picture book series. And finally, you can find me on twitter @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days. 

2 comments:

  1. Miss Mary Mack looks especially fun! Thanks for sharing this post at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina. It was a fun book and it took me back to when I was a kid and sang that song while doing the clapping game.

      Delete