Monday, May 21, 2018

Fine Reads By Friends

Hey everyone. I hope your past week was enjoyable and relaxing. Our week was indeed enjoyable even it wasn't so relaxing. For some reason, May seems to overflow with one event after another. Emily attended her last after school science class and her last Wednesday teen church  meeting until fall. She also had an orthodontist appointment and I mowed both our yard and my mother-in-laws. And finally, we rounded out the week by celebrating my mother-in-laws 81st birthday and my husband's aunt's 80th birthday.



In-between, I managed a trip to the library where I found a wonderful chapter book by my friend Jessica Young titled Haggis and Tank Unleashed - Digging for Dinos. Now if you and your sprouts have never read anything by Jessica Young, I highly encourage you to do so. Jessica has a wonderful way with words and the confusion those words cause between friends Haggis and Tank as they track dinosaurs is hilarious. The scene where the dogs egg sit some dinosaur eggs they find is pretty funny as well. Jessica is also a master of imagination as she unleashes a surprising ending!



I also managed to review two books sent to me in e form for my friend Holly Niner. I was particularly taken with The Day I Ran Away. Told from the pov of a young girl telling her dad about her day and how she rran away, this tale shows  how a child's day can go from horrible to memorable when a little love is added to the mix. The wonderful way this story unfolds, allows children to see that punishment for wrong doing doesn't mean parents don't love them. I especially loved the ending where the young girl turns the negativity of running away into something positive and fun she can share with her parents. 


Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week, same crazy time, same crazy channel. Also be sure to drop by Literacy Musings Mondays for more great blogs as well as my personal website Fun With Aileen where you will find more on reading, writing, and my very own chapter and picture books. And finally, you can find me on twitter if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment