Monday, January 22, 2018

Mixed Emotions And A Knowledge of Earmuffs

This past week I wasn't sure if I should cry or jump for joy. "Why the  mixed emotions?" you ask. The answer is simple, I now have a teen. Yes, that beautiful little girl I gave birth to is now thirteen. Her father and I have watched her grow over the years, and I can tell  you it has all gone by way too fast.



Some of her good friends helped us celebrate! 






Games like pass the stuffed peep, unwrap the candy kiss with oven mitts, a roll the dice game involving candy, and Twister were played.






 I have no clue exactly how her story will turn out, but I am confident her transition to adulthood will be even more exciting! 


So while I have no idea what will unfold in our days living with a teen, I do have a new found knowledge about earmuffs due to a book titled Earmuffs for Everyone. This book, written and illustrated by Meghan McCarthy, tells the story of how Chester Greenwood became known as the inventor of earmuffs. I learned that many credited inventors did not actually invent the items they were credited with, but in actuality, merely improve them. This book is treasure trove of information with funny complimentary illustrations. It also included mentions of other inventions, famous improvers, and even women's rights.


Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. Also be sure to drop by Literacy Musings Mondays for more great blogs as well as my personal website Fun With Aileen where you will find more on reading, writing, and my very own chapter and picture books. And finally, you can find me on twitter  @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment