Monday, June 5, 2017

Summer Has Begun!

Emily finished school and summer has officially begun for the Stewart family. This past week, we celebrated the beginning of our summer break by taking our annual family vacation. And I think there is a rule somewhere that says if you drive through Utica, Ohio, you have to stop at Ye Old Mill and get some Velvet Ice-cream. If not, there should be!


 



This particular trip was the first time in ten years that my mother wasn't part of the group, but as I sat by the fire admiring the view of the lake, I knew she would have loved the place I chose. Maybe she  even looked down upon us smiling at the grand kids.





 


Seeing as this was our first stay at the Lakehouse nestled on the edge of Burr Oak Lake, we weren't sure what to expect, but the scenery was outstanding, the wildlife abundant, the house extremely well maintained, well stocked, and it had more then adequate seating everywhere imaginable.





 

But the fun didn't stop there because on our way home we stopped at the Hocking Hills Flea Market where Emily sat in a big chair, where we bought the most delicious kettle corn, and where we found some bargains on mini antique bottles.


And despite all this busyness, I still managed to read a fun picture book called Duck on a Bike which is the tale of how Duck inspired all the farm animals to go for a ride with none of the humans any the wiser. Definitely a book worth looking for. There is even a version with an audio cd available.


Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. Also be sure to drop by Literacy Musings Mondays for more great blogs as well as my personal website Fun With Aileen where you will find more on reading, writing, and my very own chapter and picture books. And finally, you can find me on twitter @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days.


2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of how much I miss our homeschooling days, our kids, and the trips we all took together. Sure wish I could turn the clock back about 35 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Ms. Barbara. It goes by way too fast :0)

      Delete