Friday, February 22, 2013

Steppin' Outside The Zone

I am basically a creature of habit and like most people I don't relish the idea of change. However, I do want to grow as an author and as a human being; so I have spent a goodly portion of the past few years Steppin' Outside The Zone; the comfort zone that is. I have learned to share with total strangers that I am a children's author. Not in a creepy stalker like manner, but in a casual conversational way.  I have learned to become more tech savvy which is not something I feel naturally inclined towards.  I have learned to ask people for help even though my brain screams they will surely turn you down! And I believe it has paid off overall.

Since my book was published, many people have asked me if I did the illustrations as well as the written story; and I laughingly joke that I'm not that talented. The truth of the matter is, a feeling of embarrassment almost envelopes me when I tell people I don't draw that well because deep down inside I wish I did. I have always longed to be able to draw, but that just doesn't seem to be a talent that comes naturally. Despite this fact, during the two years I have been an author, I have met and been inspired by other authors like Jarrett Krosoczka author of the Lunch Lady series and Lauri Lazzaro Knowlton author of  Cowgirl Alphabet.



I met Lauri last year at the Kentucky Book Fair and she was kind enough to show me and an other author how to draw a little cowgirl out of letters, and this year I was fortunate enough to catch one of Jarrett's live studio podcasts where he showed how he draws the lunch lady. More then ever, this made me want to be able to draw as well as write; and so I began to practice. I'm still no illustrator, but I am getting better and I have created a few farm animals characters that I can draw to entertain the children when I do events.















So don't be a Negative Nelly or a Disappointed Dan. Start your own Steppin' Outside The Zone and see what wonderful things you can accomplish if you set your mind to it.

Signing off for now with wishes for a bright and beautiful day!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Aileen. I still have to work on Steppin' outside of my comfort zone.

    Love the pictures you drew too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Glad you stopped by and left some comment love!

      Delete