Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Library Displays


Today I switched out the children's display case at my local library. I took out the beach theme that went along with this year's summer reading program and replaced it with a cooking theme. I started setting up the children's displays last September when I heard the children's librarian was looking for things to display. It was a Barbie theme with dolls and accessories graciously lent to me by my daughter. I divided the two shelves into four sections and set up little Barbie scenes. One area was a driving to the beach scene with a Barbie Jeep and lots of road signs. Barbie let Ken drive of course because she didn't want to hurt his manly feelings. Another area depicted a teenager babysitting Kelly and a friend. The teen was at a table doing homework and the kids sat on a couch watching television. The the other two sections were a mix of Barbie DVDs also borrowed from my darling daughter and variously dressed Barbies. And of course, Barbie books from the libraries shelves were prominently displayed on top of the small, oak case. To me it was a thing of beauty and an outlet for my creative soul. I was told record numbers of Barbie books were checked out that month.

Somehow this one successful display led to an other and another until I realized I am now unofficially in charge of the children's display case. At Thanksgiving time I did a autumn display, at Christmas I did a Winter village resplendent with Lemax buildings, trees, fake snow, and small people. In February I did a Hawaiian display thinking that if people were as tired of the cold and snow as I was they would enjoy such a creation. I did a welcome Spring/Easter theme, A seashell display, Dive into Reading Summer Beach display, and finally today's cooking up Some Fun theme. I find that not only does this creative process bring me great joy, it leaves me hoping that others share in the joy as well. As I place carefully chosen books with each display, I wonder will it encourage children to ask if they can take books home to read. I don't know for sure, but it is my greatest hope that it does. Signing off for now with wishes for a bright and beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment