Monday, March 3, 2014

Winter Surprises



Lately, many of my posts have included comments about how cold, and long, and did I mention how cold, this winter has been. And with more snow forecast for this past weekend, I decided to sneak a few winter surprises in for my daughter before the snow actually let loose.

On Friday I scheduled a hair appointments for both Emily and I with our favorite hairdresser. We had to travel to the next town because she recently opened her own shop, but we were willing to do so, because she is simply the best. I just had my hair trimmed, but Emily has been bugging me for months to get her long hair cut short. I wasn't certain that I would like her hair short without bangs, which is what she requested, but I was wrong. It was so adorable it just made me want to hug her even more then normal.


Before


After

The next day, the surprise I had in store for Emily was taking her to Wal-Mart to spend her birthday gift card. This actually wasn't much of a surprise as it was a treat, since she had been begging me to drive her there for over a week. Her mission __ to buy herself the movie Cloud 9. We watched it later that evening when we got home, and I was surprised to find it quite enjoyable for a pre teen/teen film. In the movie, the main character, Kayla Morgan, is a spoiled, rich, daddy's girl  who get's kicked off the snowboarding team after accidentally destroying some private property belonging to some of her father's tenants. Forced to work in the doggie-daycare in order to make amends, Kayla learns that she isn't the winner she always thought she was because the coach had been rigging the games to keep her father happy.  Determined to show everyone that nothing is impossible and that she can work hard to achieve a goal, she enlists the aide of the former champion snowboarder, Will Cloud, to teach her the move that destroyed his career and confidence __ the cloud 9.

The movie is full of great messages about facing out fears, determination, hard work, and believing in one's self.  And you just might find it an excellent surprise yourself.




The last surprise I had that day for Emily was a trip to the mall to get her ear's pierced. I told her several years ago that she had to be nine in order to get her ears pierced. It was my opinion that by the age of nine she would be mature enough to be responsible and diligent about cleaning her ears and taking care of her earrings. The look on her face when I told her why we were at the mall was priceless.

But the surprises didn't end there, since I still had a book to read for this blog. The book I chose was one I have had for a few weeks, but just hadn't gotten around to reading yet. And, I was delightfully surprised to find it a great read. What book did I read, you ask? It was Ant and Honey Bee - A Pair Of Friends In Winter by Megan McDonald. Ant and Honey Bee are getting ready for the long winter, but ant just isn't quite ready to go to sleep yet. Shee does all the one person activities that she can think of, but finally decides to see if Bee is up to one last visit. Bee doesn't answer her phone, so Ant braves the weather and heads to her house. Once there, she  finds a strange sign on the door that says "eep  ot" which she thinks is French or Spanish for come on in. When Ant enters, she finds Bee a bit on the grumpy side. Ant suggests Bee is just hungry, so the two make an extraordinary sandwich and them settle down for a long winter nap together. You really need to check out this book for yourself, if for no other reason then to see what all goes into the unique sandwich.


 
 
Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. And feel free to drop by my personal website, Fun With Aileen, any day of the week for even more on reading, writing, my very own early grade chapter book, Fern Valley, and my soon to be released sequel, Return To Fern Valley, coming summer of 2014! I'm also on twitter @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days.


No comments:

Post a Comment