Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Those "WOW" Moments



Did you ever have one of those moments where you sighed in relief and thought, Wow, I did something right? I had one of those wow moments just the other night. My daughter and I were snuggled up on the couch watching an episode of Survivor that my mom had taped for us. As we watched and relaxed, there was a segment where one gentleman was cooking everyone coconut for breakfast. Out of the blue my daughter turned to me and said, "Mommy, those people are grateful. Even if they have to eat the same thing everyday, they're just happy to have food to eat."

"Yes, that is correct," I replied. And as she looked at me with understanding, I knew that her father and I must be doing something right. For several weeks we have been reiterating the concept of contentment, thankfulness, and being grateful as she struggled with the age old "the world revolves around me" syndrome that all children go through from time to time.

As parents, we often wonder if any of the words that so frequently come out of our mouths, go in the ears of our youngster and manage to stick in her young brain. More often then not it seems as if our wisdom goes in one ear and out the other; so it is a moment of great triumph when she actually shows that she has listened and understood.

Sometimes I have those wow moments with my writing as well. Recently my sister told me that a grandmother she works with, to whom she had given a copy of my book, wanted me to know about her granddaughter's reaction to my characters. She said that they hadn't finished the book yet because her granddaughter had decided she absolutely loved the little pig,  Kimmy Curlytail, and she wouldn't read any other story except the one starring Kimmy. Well, it  seems that I got it right when it came to my pig character, at least as far as that little girl is concerned.

It is these wow moments in life and writing that make me smile and that keep me working to be the best parent and writer I can be. I'm not perfect yet, but I think I'm on the right track! What wow moments have you had recently?

Signing off for now with wishes for a bright and beautiful day!

1 comment:

  1. Aileen, I enjoyed reading about you and your daughter's special moment. I think many of our 'wow' moments often happen with our children and grandchildren. Mine was last week with my one year old grandson just hanging out. Nothing better.

    ReplyDelete