Saturday, May 22, 2010

Classics at Our House

What makes a classic? I have often heard it said that a book is a classic if it stands the test of time. I guess that means if someone from generation A writes a book and people from generation B are still reading it, then it must be a classic. Following this guideline leads me to believe that many of the books my daughter owns might be classics.

No, I don't just think they might be; I will say with certainty that they are! I can make this statement because I read them when I was her age over thirty years ago (said under mumbled breath). I know of course that comment makes me sound very aged (I mean wise), but that is a story for another day.

Some of the books bulging out of my daughters book bins include: Goodnight Moon, The Little Red Hen, All About Corduroy, The Country Mouse and the City Mouse, and The Monster at the End of This Book. Books that when I saw them caused me to squeal in delight, "I had that book when I was a little girl!"

And if you are wondering; yes, I did get some strange looks from others standing nearby. But being the true book lover that I am, I merely shrugged it off knowing that those poor unfortunate souls would never know the joy that I did. So go out and find a classic of your own and enjoy it to the fullest! Signing off for now with wishes for a bright and beautiful day.

1 comment:

  1. I am always thrilled to recognize an old friend that has stood the test of time. My baby brother loved the monster at the end of this book.

    ReplyDelete