Monday, December 14, 2015

Christmas Goings On

December always has lots of fun activities going on and this past week was chock full of them.  First Emily participated in her Independent Studies Christmas Program where she had a small solo song which she rocked. That was followed up with a choir concert. Besides shuttling my pride and joy back and forth to dress rehearsals and choir practices, I was baking, baking, baking. I made seventeen loaves of mini bread and lots of cookies, I attended my last book event, and packed for our trip to Kentucky to see Bobby's Aunt. We also spent the week recycling old Christmas cards and making gift tags. 




Recycled Christmas Gift Tags

With all these Christmas festivities going on, I decided it would be a great time to continue reviewing Christmas books. The first book I read was A Star So Bright. Although published in 2006, this book is definitely worth looking for in your library or fining used on Amazon. A lovely nativity story told in well played rhyme, this book also features a cutout on each page that shows a star. When you reach the last page, the star actually lights up. 


A Star So Bright


The second book I read wasn't a Christmas story, but as soon as I saw it I knew I had to read it. It was titled Farmer's Market Day. As you all know, I started managing my local farm market this past summer, so I just had to k now what this book was about. When I studied it further, I also discovered it was illustrated by a fellow Ohioan.

Farmer's Market Day

Like the first book, this story was told in rhyme and shares a small girl's journey through a farmer's market on a Saturday morning. Trying to decide what she wants to spend her money on is difficult as she passes all the wonderful items available like fruits and vegetables, honey, flowers, and fresh baked bread. But in the end, she finds something just right.

Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. And feel free to drop by my personal website, Fun With Aileen, any day of the week for even more on reading, writing, my very own early grade chapter book, Fern Valley, the sequels, Return To Fern Valley,  and Cooking In Fern Valley, along with my very first picture book, Quack and Daisy! I'm also on twitter @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing some sweet looking books for the blog hop! I just might have to get me a copy of that star one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Miss Naila, that is a great one for Christmas. Thanks for stopping by and Merry Christmas.

      Delete