Monday, November 9, 2015

A Failed Science Experiment and A Turkey Mishap

Since Emily and I were studying volcanoes and earthquakes for school this past week, I thought it would be fun to do a science experiment. The idea was to make a little volcano in a glass container. Wax, placed in the bottom of the container, covered with sand and water, and heated, was supposed to produce simulated molten that would shoot up through the sand due to pressure created by the heat. The picture below shows what it should look like if successful.


So we diligently placed broken bits of red crayon from our box of crayon remnants in a wide mouth mason jar, covered them, added water, and place it over the burner of our gas stove. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that you CAN NOT place a mason jar over a gas flame. Apparently they are not flame proof and will break. Said breakage will cause the water and sand to leak all over. And if you have ever tried to clean wet sand and melted crayon off of a stove top and out form under the burner openings, you will be well aware of my feelings of frustration. And if you haven't, be very glad!  

Not being one to give up when faced with a messy set back, I attempted to find a solution to our problem. So the second time around, I filled my canner with water, placed a new jar with sand, water, and crayons on the rack, and we waited for the water to boil. I wish I could say that this second experiment  was a huge success, but it really wasn't. The crayons melted just enough to sort of ooze out in small amounts, but not enough to impress Emily.


Some days things just don't turn out like you expect them to and that is exactly what happened in the book I read for this week's review. This Is the Turkey, a rhyming story about a family and there Thanksgiving day, is about a mishap with one family's golden delicious turkey. Do they gripe and complain? Do they decide the day has been ruined? No. Instead they remind each other that the important thing about the day is being with loved ones and that there is still plenty to eat and be thankful for even if their feast is minus the turkey.


Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. And feel free to drop by my personal website, Fun With Aileen, any day of the week for even more on reading, writing, my very own early grade chapter book, Fern Valley, the sequels, Return To Fern Valley,  and Cooking In Fern Valley, along with my very first picture book, Quack and Daisy! I'm also on twitter @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! I think I would have given up after the first fail. Kids learn a lot from science experiments that go wrong, too - especially how to give it another try! Thanks for sharing at the Thoughtful Spot!

    ReplyDelete