Monday, June 1, 2015

Looking Forward To What's Ahead!


This past week found me baking several batches of cookies to serve at the local farm market meeting. As the new farm market manager, I wanted to touch base with the vendors one last time before we officially begin on June twentieth. With the market drawing nearer, I find myself getting more and more excited. I am also beginning to plan out many of the summer day trips I hope my family and I will be going on. There is the creation wax museum, a pioneer village, picnics at a local nature center, a pool party, and so much more.


Which brings me to the first book I read this week, titled Sea, Sand, Me. It reminded me of all the delicious things we have to look forward to this summer. It is a simple rhyming book that tells the story of a little girls trip to the ocean and the great joy she finds in each and every moment. This book would be perfect for children three to six.


The second book I read, titled Friendship Quilt, wasn't particularly summery in theme, but it was an excellent book none-the-less.  Raddie is sad because she has lost her grandmother, and nothing her best friend Hank does seems to cheer her up. That is until Hank convinces several other friends to work with him on a friendship quilt for Raddie. Each one adds a patch that has a warm memory for them and they hope it will help Raddie think on all the warm memories she has of her grandmother.


This book is a beautiful way to show children that it is okay to grieve, but it is also okay to cloak yourself in warm memories and move on with life. This book would be really great for children who are reading picture books on their own.


Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. And feel free to drop by my personal website, Fun With Aileen, any day of the week for even more on reading, writing, my very own early grade chapter book, Fern Valley, the sequel, Return To Fern Valley, the soon to be released Cooking In Fern Valley (fall 2015) and my very first picture book, Quack and Daisy! I'm also on twitter @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! those cookies look delish :)
    Friendship quilt looks like a great book to read. I am definitely looking for it at the library! thanks for sharing on kidlitbloghop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I'm glad you found something to look for. Have a beautiful weekend Miss Resh :0)

      Delete
  2. Both the books look great. And, I loved the idea of The Friendship Quilt. I feel that the children's books, that talk about the emotions of their wonderful world, are very important. Thanks for introducing these books and sharing in Kid Lit Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad these selections look interesting to you Miss Ambika. And thanks for stopping by and leaving some comment love :0) As always, happy reading!

      Delete