Monday, January 12, 2015

Damaged Luggage and A Winter Wonderland

The saga of Bobby's trip to Japan continues. I heard from him for a few minutes when he called to let me know he had arrived safely. After he had time to sleep, he called me again before he left for work (Our morning is their night and so forth). Unfortunately, when he arrived at Tokyo, he found that the suitcase he had borrowed for the trip had been damaged.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must have been to try and drag luggage about with an entire ripped side all while trying to keep belongings from spilling out. Hopefully he won't let this minor set back sap the joy out of this experience.

Meanwhile, here in Ohio we have that lovely deep blanket of winter snow that was missing during Christmas. With that in mind, along with Bobby's trip, I chose two books. One about snow, and one representing Asian twins and the beautiful way they share everything

The first book is actually called Snow and is by the wonderful Cynthia Rylant. Snow is an absolutely and astoundingly beautifully written and illustrated book. She describes snow in amazing ways like the snow that falls at night and the snow that causes school children to be sent home. The snow that helps make memories. I seriously recommend this book for children and adults alike.
 

The second book I read was Ling and Ting Share A Birthday by author/illustrator Grace Lin. Ling and Ting are identical twins and it's their birthday. They share birthday shoes, they share birthday cake, they share a birthday wish, they even share their birthday gifts. But when they share most is an appreciation of each other. this book is perfect for children between the ages of five and eight and shares a very positive message.


Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. And feel free to drop by my personal website, Fun With Aileen, any day of the week for even more on reading, writing, my very own early grade chapter book, Fern Valley, the sequel, Return To Fern Valley, and the soon to be released Cooking In Fern Valley (fall 2015)! I'm also on twitter @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days.

6 comments:

  1. Ah! Grace Lin - definitely can't go wrong there! Thanks for sharing your recommendations in the Kid Lit Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first Grace Lin read. I'm ready for another Now Miss Renee, lol :0)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing these...and I sympathize with your husband. My suitcase broke while I was traveling in Genoa, Italy, and I had to race around to fine a new one as I was leaving that same day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Barbara. I'm so sorry for that, but hope you enjoyed the trip anyways :0)

      Delete
  3. I love both authors you chose soo much! I hope the luggage situation works out! Thanks for sharing at the Kid Lit Blog Hop! Mia of PragmaticMom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mia. Bobby found some HARD side luggage in Tokyo :0)

      Delete