Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Day Late And A Gallon Short...

For those of you who noticed that my regular Monday post wasn't written until today, I apologize. It's been a crazy weekend. With Bobby away in Japan, I thought it was the perfect time to makeover our bedroom suite. Knowing that Bobby has a sensitivity to odors, I thought painting and varnishing while he was gone would be perfect. But since I had to wait for  my bedding to arrive before I bought paint, it was a mad dash to finish up in time, especially since he called to say he was coming home a half a week early.


In addition to the busyness, when I took Emily and a classmate to their bi-monthly home school classes at Mansfield Christian this past Friday, Emily left a light on in the back of the car. When I came out of school recess and lunch duty, my battery was dead. On a bright note, the service call to jump my battery was covered by my Hyundai warranty's roadside assistance.

But the piece de resistance this weekend was when I ran to the store to buy one more gallon of paint. The paint knocked over when I turned the corner and the lid popped off. You wouldn't even believe the number of gallons of water it takes in a three hour period to suck paint out of the carpet in the back of a car. Hopefully, you will never have to find out personally!


So, it's understandable that I didn't have time to review books as I normally would. However, Emily has been reading some Box Car Children mysteries. She received a set for Christmas that had the first four books, and she is enjoying them tremendously. Which just goes to show that, well written books never go out of style no matter how long has passed since they were first published.


She just finished The Yellow House Mystery this morning and as she read the last page she told me that she loved it and that it was her favorite so far. She then proceeded to tell me about the man who was told his wife had died in a fire trying to save their employer's horses. He was so grief stricken that he had gone on to live in the forest as a hermit. Unbeknownst to him, his wife was alive. For years she continued to serve the children's family faithfully but with an aura of sadness, always wondering where her husband had gone. I think what Emily loved best, was the happy reunion of the two. After all, who doesn't love a happy ending.
 
 
Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. And feel free to drop by my personal website, Fun With Aileen, any day of the week for even more on reading, writing, my very own early grade chapter book, Fern Valley, the sequel, Return To Fern Valley, and the soon to be released Cooking In Fern Valley (fall 2015)! I'm also on twitter @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! I would have a heart attack if I spilled paint like that! Yikes!! My kids have never read the Boxcar Children books. I'd love to try them out with them some time to see if they would like them. Thanks for sharing in the Kid Lit Blog Hop! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to cry Miss Renee, but I tried to keep it in perspective. I kept telling myself no one died. It's just paint and no one died, lol. I can laugh now. And let me know if your children enjoy The Boxcar Children :0)

      Delete
  2. Well, I think if I had been you, I probably wouldn't have gotten around to writing a post! We have never read the Boxcar series. Maybe this new round of grandkids will. Thanks for sharing on the Kid Lit Blog Hop and for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and I bet your grands will love the Boxcar Children :0)

      Delete