Monday, November 3, 2014

Sometimes Ordinary is Extrordinary


 


It was an extraordinary week. Not because anything extraordinary happened, but because of all the ordinary events that occurred. Events that make up the everyday moments of our lives, or as I like to say, the glue that sticks it all together. Emily had a special practice for her part in the Independent Studies Christmas Pageant coming up in December, and she had a lot of fun at practice. She was able to show her father and I the routine later that evening, and it was such a joy to watch her dance to the music.
 
 Emily and I then took this past Friday off to have a girls' day out. Homeschooling affords us the opportunity to do this occasionally, so we took full advantage. We set out to do some Christmas shopping, buy some groceries, and get some pizza.
 
We went to a small pizza parlor in a nearby town for which we had a discount coupon from Emily's summer reading. We shared a large salad while we waited for our pizza to finish cooking, and when it finally arrived, we were pleasantly surprised to find it was the best pizza we had ever eaten. The sauce was sweet, the bread was delicious, and the cheese was the real mozzarella that strings when you pull a piece off of the pizza pan.

Food Clip Art

Saturday found me at a book event where I shared a table friend and fellow author, Deb Boerema, who has an exceptional Christmas story called The Innkeeper's Dog. It reminds me of my favorite Christmas carol The Friendly Beasts. Not only did we get to visit, but our sales were pretty good that day as well.


And then of course Sunday evening rolled around and it was time to read and review for this post. I can't think of a nicer way to wrap up a week full of normal, wonderful, and ordinary times that make life extraordinarily worth living!

Since I hadn't had time to visit the library this past week, I decided to choose a book from Emily's bookshelves. What I chose was another dog book called The Stray Dog. It is an ordinary book with very short and to the point sentences. On some pages, there are only pictures to tell the story. But this ordinary story of how one family finds a dog to love is based on a true story. And in my book that makes it as extraordinary as my week was.


Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Join me next week for another exciting episode, same crazy time, same crazy channel. And feel free to drop by my personal website, Fun With Aileen, any day of the week for even more on reading, writing, my very own early grade chapter book, Fern Valley, and my sequel, Return To Fern Valley! I'm also on twitter @AileenWStewart if you want an extremely brief glimpse into my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment