Thursday, April 25, 2013

One Author's Journey To SOKY And Back: Part 2



I woke bright and early Friday morning ready to start Children's Day, and by early I mean about 4:00 am. I must have been super excited because I couldn't go back to sleep no matter how hard I tried. So I watched television until it was time to go down to breakfast, and then I headed over to the conference center. Amy Ignatow and I were walking  briskly towards our destination when Mark Wayne Adams stopped and asked us if we wanted a ride. The conference center was only a five minute walk, but the temperature which had been around 85 degrees the day before had plummeted to 45 degrees that morning. We gladly jumped into the back of his vehicle!

Once inside, I got my pen, sharpies, and card stock ready. I knew from experience that I wouldn't sell many books because my book, which retails for $11.99, is priced just above the ten dollars that most parents send with their children. But I didn't let that dampen my spirits, and I got busy drawing farm characters for the children. Now in case you aren't already aware of the fact, I did not illustrate Fern Valley. But since so many people always ask me that, I thought it prudent to learn some basics. I practiced for months on a dry erase board with my eight year old  as my toughest critic. Once I got my six characters down, I could whip one up with the ease of a master chef torching a Cherries Jubilee. The only problem is that six farm characters are all I know how to draw with the exception of a few boy and girl faces. But all was well and fine until someone asked for a duck. A duck, you see, is not one of the six things I know how to draw; thankfully the young man settled for a turkey.




The fun was only beginning because  my friend and fellow author,  Amanda Stephan, came up from Tennessee to attend the Writers Conference that was going on simultaneously with Children's Day. After we were both done for the afternoon, we headed to Cheddar's to hang out. This was a special treat as we had never met in person before. We hit it off splendidly and managed not to embarrass her daughter Brenna very much. The waiter was kind enough to snap a picture of us which I will cherish always.


Amanda Stephan and I


We were only able to spend about two hours together because I had to get ready to attend the Author Meet and Greet Fund Raising Reception. It was a glorious night of smoozing with celebs, other authors, and locals from Bowling Green. I really do love a good party.


Mr. Winkler and I


 
Mary McDonough and I





Mark and I




Virginia Smith and I




 
Stacy Curtis, Bruce Kessler, and I


As much as I love to mingle though, having been up since four made for a long day; so around about seven, I headed for my hotel room to ponder the amazing happenings of the day.

Signing off for now with wishes for a bright and beautiful day and encouraging you to tune in tomorrow for part three!

No comments:

Post a Comment