Sunday, January 6, 2013

Geocaching Adventures

For quite some time, I  have heard the term Geocaching and I often wondered what it was all about. That is until recently when a friend and fellow children's author, Judi Chesshir, mentioned that she was a Geocacher. Not only does Judi love Geocaching, but she has managed to use her new beloved hobby as a marketing tool for her book My Finny, Fin, Fin. I wanted to know more, so I asked Judi to write a guest post about her Geocaching experiences for a collective blog I post on every Monday called The Price of Trust.

Geocaching is basically a worldwide scavenger hunt that you find by using clues on Geocach.com and the latitude/longitude coordinates of the cache which you can follow using a GPS or smart phone. Once you find a cache (container) you open it and sign the log showing on which date you found it and check out what fellow Geocachers have left before you. You then leave a memento of your own behind. The beauty of Geocaching is that it is wholesome fun for the whole family. 

I was extremely happy to learn about Geocaching, because if truth be told, I am a big fan of scavenger hunts. So much so that I went to the Goecaching site and signed myself up right away. The next day my husband, my daughter, and I set out to find our first cache which was about a six minutes walk from our home. The clue said to visit with robin and to close the door once we were done. I knew that somehow that must be referring to a birdhouse or feeder and I was correct. It was interesting to see what others had left behind and I let my daughter choose one small item to take with her. She chose a small blue glass stone shaped like a star. When it was time for us to deposit an item; I like Judi, used it as a marketing opportunity for my book Fern Valley. I left a business card with small character buttons in a small plastic bag. Hopefully the next finder of the cache will be curious and will take a peek at my website which is listed on my business card.

  
Our First Find   

Treasures
Our First Deposit

I can't wait until summer so our family can go on Geocaching adventures a little further from home. Until then, we will check out those nearby like the church around the corner from our home where my husband and I were married. So to all you fellow scavenger hunters, happy hunting.

Signing off for now with wishes for a bright and beautiful day!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you started. Caching is so much fun and a great way to get out of the house. Let me know your cacher profile so we can be friends on the site. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete