Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Quilted Pictures - Who Knew!



Over the years I have acquired many hobbies and loves and one of them  happens to be quilting. Now I am by no means an expert quilter; the most ambitious quilt I ever made was a quilt made of  blocks containing different colored leaves. Usually I just make random patchwork quilts or patchworks in the Around The World pattern where you start with a center square and keep adding different fabrics around the first until you reach the edges.

It is also pretty obvious since this is a blog about reading, writing, and life in general that I love books. I especially love children's books. Recently I had the opportunity to read a children's book by Janice Green about the creation of the world. It was truly an excellent book. It would never have occurred to me to combine two loves like quilting and writing.

Janice has done a great job doing just that. Her retelling of the creation story in an entertaining and simple way that children will be sure to understand is delightful. And the beautiful illustrations made from quilt segments add interest to this fine book. I would definitely recommend this book to parents just beginning to teach their children biblical truths.

Although this book is most assuredly in the Christian Children's genre, all you quilting fans might just want to take a look at the splendid illustrations as well. In the back of the book Janice even identifies many of the fabrics used in the quilt segments pictured. So go get your copy of The Creation today.

Signing off for now with wishes for a bright and beautiful day!

6 comments:

  1. I've dabbled in quilting, too, and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Tracy. I've dabbled in quite a few things. I guess I'm just a master dabbler :0)

      Delete
  2. Wow, thanks Aileen. That is a great review. I'm glad you liked my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the review Janice. Hope it helps!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful quilt Aileen, I have a friend who is always working on some quilt... I don't have the patience I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marja. That was a lap quilt I made for the school auction two years ago. It went for a fabulous sum which I'm sure was more from generosity for the school then because of my quilting skills,lol.

      Delete